The end of one amazing chapter...
This week has been such an adventure. I don't even know where to begin. Today, I had to say goodbye to the school- we have been there for almost 2 weeks, but I feel like i've been there for an eternity. The teachers and the staff at the school are the most gracious people i have ever met in my life. I spent a few more nights at the school this week, and those have been my favorite memory. the stars here are un.believe.able. I have never seen so many in my life. We stay up after eating "ugali" and vegetables by the fire stove and then go outside and talk under the stars. there is one maasai watchman who watches the school at night- he has been so kind. I'll miss playing charades with him since we can't formally speak to eachother. But when we look at the stars, he tells me "ni mungu."- "This is God."
I think on tuesday, the whole group of us went to arusha- the a pretty big city about an hour by dala-dala away. \i sat on the back of the bus amongst a group of about 10 maasai who were moving their entire home. interesting! It was a good day trip, since the school is about 7 miles from the nearest anything.
I found one little boy wandering around the school yesterday in barefeet with completely tattered clothing. I inquired about him, and it turns out his mother abandoned him a while ago and he was left with his grandmother- who is not able to take care of him. He is maybe 2 or so. We washed him up and we found him some new clothes. We had the women's center sew him some things. His stomach was so protruded from lack of nutrition- but he is the sweetest baby in the world. He kind of clung to me since yesterday, and all of the maasai were telling me to "take him home with you to america!" All joking aside... I really tried to make sure that the staff will look in on him and take him to the hospital. His name is Thomas.
the maasai in the village gave me the name "namayani" this week- i think it means "blessed." But that's what they've been calling me all week. :) Saying goodbye today was very painful- lots of tears everywhere. I've gotten to know a few teachers very well. communication is so hard there.
I think i've gotten about 12 necklaces as gifts from all the people in the village. I went walking into the village last night- and as SOON as they see me, a Mzungu (white person)- they go into host mode. I must have had about 6 cups of chai tea in about 6 bomas yesterday. And you can't refuse the tea either....but it was fun! Lot's of good pictures.
Tomorrow we are going to hang around and rest. We go to moshi tomorrow night and then sunday morning we start the CLIMB. It will take us 6 days to reach the peak, if we don't have to add an extra day. Pray that dana, kate, and I make it!
I dont' know if i can post again before I climb, so the next one may be in a little over a week. Blessings to all!
sere! ( in maasai)
K
I think on tuesday, the whole group of us went to arusha- the a pretty big city about an hour by dala-dala away. \i sat on the back of the bus amongst a group of about 10 maasai who were moving their entire home. interesting! It was a good day trip, since the school is about 7 miles from the nearest anything.
I found one little boy wandering around the school yesterday in barefeet with completely tattered clothing. I inquired about him, and it turns out his mother abandoned him a while ago and he was left with his grandmother- who is not able to take care of him. He is maybe 2 or so. We washed him up and we found him some new clothes. We had the women's center sew him some things. His stomach was so protruded from lack of nutrition- but he is the sweetest baby in the world. He kind of clung to me since yesterday, and all of the maasai were telling me to "take him home with you to america!" All joking aside... I really tried to make sure that the staff will look in on him and take him to the hospital. His name is Thomas.
the maasai in the village gave me the name "namayani" this week- i think it means "blessed." But that's what they've been calling me all week. :) Saying goodbye today was very painful- lots of tears everywhere. I've gotten to know a few teachers very well. communication is so hard there.
I think i've gotten about 12 necklaces as gifts from all the people in the village. I went walking into the village last night- and as SOON as they see me, a Mzungu (white person)- they go into host mode. I must have had about 6 cups of chai tea in about 6 bomas yesterday. And you can't refuse the tea either....but it was fun! Lot's of good pictures.
Tomorrow we are going to hang around and rest. We go to moshi tomorrow night and then sunday morning we start the CLIMB. It will take us 6 days to reach the peak, if we don't have to add an extra day. Pray that dana, kate, and I make it!
I dont' know if i can post again before I climb, so the next one may be in a little over a week. Blessings to all!
sere! ( in maasai)
K

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home