Update- I'm an auntie!
so, I had one of the most amazing weekends of my life! While everyone else went on safari this weekend, I stayed back in maasai land and lived at the school with the teachers. Each day was a blessing of its own. I can now count to 20 in kimaasai! just as soon as i pick up swahili..another language is added....
The children are so beautiful. They wear long, flowing robes of red and green and yellow. It looks so neat when they herd the cattle across the barren plains. It's like a speck of color slowly moving in a sea of light brown. The children are learning english, some of them can speak it quite well, others take a while.
I got to know 2 of the teachers really well this weekend. Teresia and taosi. It amazes me how hard the women work here. The roster started up at 4 am and then it was time to wash everything and get the meal ready. But, there is constant singing and constant smiling. They love their life.
I visited many maasai homes of the students over the weekend. They live in huts made of dirt, with maybe one room and one bed. I was adorned with gifts and given cups of tea left and right. The children often ask me why I want to come to tanzania, when their country is so poor and nothing like america. I tell them it is beautiful that the people are really blessed with humility, kindness, and hospitality.
The sunsets here are INCREDIBLE, and i have never seen so many stars at one time in my life. Everyone here is so connected to nature, and credit everything they have to God.
Famine is on the verge in the village. The "wet" season produced no rain at all, and now they are heading into the dry season at the end of july, without having any harvest. In august, edward told me they often go for a week at a time with no water at all. You never see anyone here drinking water. I must look weird armed with my 2 water bottles every day.
Life is good, otherwise. The school is doing an amazing job with the children, but they still need some help. I love trying to communicate with people who don't speak english. They appreciate my charades and then we all end up looking ridiculous as we act out what we want to say! I am so truly blessed to catch a glimpse of their life.
Only 30 minutes on this computer, for 5 dollars. Must run! I'm spending tuesday night and wednesday night at the school, so I won't be on for a while. Thanks for reading and God bless!
Oh, and I am a new auntie to Elizabeth "lizzy" Maeve McCreesh. She is SO beautiful and I was crying like a baby when i read that email. Courtney- i love you and I can't wait to meet her.
I texted courtney the number which anyone can call me at. It is best to call during the day here or early evening, we are 7 hours ahead. Calling from skype is about 30 cents a minute.
Kwa heri!
katherine
The children are so beautiful. They wear long, flowing robes of red and green and yellow. It looks so neat when they herd the cattle across the barren plains. It's like a speck of color slowly moving in a sea of light brown. The children are learning english, some of them can speak it quite well, others take a while.
I got to know 2 of the teachers really well this weekend. Teresia and taosi. It amazes me how hard the women work here. The roster started up at 4 am and then it was time to wash everything and get the meal ready. But, there is constant singing and constant smiling. They love their life.
I visited many maasai homes of the students over the weekend. They live in huts made of dirt, with maybe one room and one bed. I was adorned with gifts and given cups of tea left and right. The children often ask me why I want to come to tanzania, when their country is so poor and nothing like america. I tell them it is beautiful that the people are really blessed with humility, kindness, and hospitality.
The sunsets here are INCREDIBLE, and i have never seen so many stars at one time in my life. Everyone here is so connected to nature, and credit everything they have to God.
Famine is on the verge in the village. The "wet" season produced no rain at all, and now they are heading into the dry season at the end of july, without having any harvest. In august, edward told me they often go for a week at a time with no water at all. You never see anyone here drinking water. I must look weird armed with my 2 water bottles every day.
Life is good, otherwise. The school is doing an amazing job with the children, but they still need some help. I love trying to communicate with people who don't speak english. They appreciate my charades and then we all end up looking ridiculous as we act out what we want to say! I am so truly blessed to catch a glimpse of their life.
Only 30 minutes on this computer, for 5 dollars. Must run! I'm spending tuesday night and wednesday night at the school, so I won't be on for a while. Thanks for reading and God bless!
Oh, and I am a new auntie to Elizabeth "lizzy" Maeve McCreesh. She is SO beautiful and I was crying like a baby when i read that email. Courtney- i love you and I can't wait to meet her.
I texted courtney the number which anyone can call me at. It is best to call during the day here or early evening, we are 7 hours ahead. Calling from skype is about 30 cents a minute.
Kwa heri!
katherine

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home