Return to Tanzania

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Where I'm headed, and what I'll be doing.

Where I'm headed: On July 7, 2009, I will be going to the Kilimanjaro region of Tanzania in Eastern Africa for 4.5 weeks. With my friend Kate, another volunteer who I met last summer in Tanzania, I will be volunteering at the O'Brien School for the Maasai and at Light in Africa. Tanzania is just south of Kenya and to the East of Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, DRC and North of Mozambique. I taught at Karanga Catholic Nursery School (as pictured above) last summer in Tanzania for four weeks.

What I'll be doing: From July 7-July 18, Kate and I will be volunteering at the O'Brien School for the Maasai. The O'Brien school was founded in 2007 and continues to grow with the support of American citizens and its founder, Kellie O'Brien. The school focuses on the education and empowerment of Maasai children and the security of their tribal families. The school has opened a women's center, where Maasai women can come to learn trades thus making them more independent in their communities and less dependent on their husbands. The school is currently working on supplying fresh water to its students and on providing a healthy diet. Kate and I will be working with the local teachers and helping them to implement new ways of teaching. We will be helping the women's center with projects and working with local Maasai to help bring medical treatment to the students. Money that you donate will be going towards the listed projects and towards providing educational resources for both children and teachers. You can learn more about the school by visiting their website: http://www.obrienschool.org/














What I'll be doing cont'd: I will also be volunteering at an orphanage called "Light in Africa." This is an orphanage that I had the blessing of being able to visit last summer. Founded by "Mama Lynn", the orphanage has many different locations in Tanzania and focuses on making a reliable foundation for abandoned children. Mamma Lynn left the UK 10 years ago to build the orphanage from scratch, and has since saved hundreds of children from extreme poverty. The love and individual attention that Light in Africa gives each child is incredible. Money donated will be going to a local project that LIA is working on. The more money that I bring, the more money that can be used towards whatever project I choose. These projects range from providing school supplies to children, to building homes, to providing medicine to local dispensaries and more. I will be at Light in Africa from July 27- August 8.
You can learn more about Light in Africa by visiting their website: http://www.lightinafrica.org/



I am extremely gracious for all donations and will keep family, friends, and supporters up to date on the most recent developments in my journey. The children I will be interacting with may have no voice, but your donations will give them an opportunity for life that every child deserves. Thanks to everyone for their support and God bless!
Asante Sana (Thank you so much in Swahili)
Katherine

1 Comments:

  • Good luck with your trip Katherine! I know you will do amazing things (again!). I'm so glad that I met you, I think you are a wonderful person, and being in Tanzania with you made my CCS trip just that much better.

    By Blogger Mwalimu, At December 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home